Monday, June 7, 2010

...DNF at Washington DC

...This was suppose to be my "easier" 50miler
...Its only "4000" ft elevation change (NY had 14,000ft change)
...The first Ultra Im running with my boys...nothing can go wrong!

Lesson learned?...anything can happen in a Ultra.

With the Northface Challenge at Bear Mtn under my belt only a month ago, I was actually excited to do this race since it was so much less elevation and my boy Kino's first 50...

The day before the race...yep that's Dean Karnazes...



Robert, me, Kino, Michael Wardian (yeah, the one and only Michael!!!)


5am start time....Can you feel the energy!!!


..the first mile...yeah does bright lights are people running behind us.)



Sunrise - about Mile 10..Im still feeling pretty good.




Mile 12....still feeling good...


...obviously I don't have any pictures of my demise...but I started throwing up a mile to the 15Mile Aid Station and was unable to hold anything in my stomach for the rest of the day...So the Race Directors took my bid..my first DNF.....

...with the Boys at the Finish line:
Robert- (First Ultra) blazes to 15th place), Johnny, Kino, ME!!!


...Surprisingly I'm ok with this DNF, It's pumping me up for my 100miler race...

“Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom.” G.Patton.

-Marco

2 comments:

  1. The RD's took your bib away from you? That hurts.

    When your body shuts down, there's not much you can do. You could have all the will power in the world, but if you can't hold down your liquids and solids on such a hot Virginia summer day, then the only choice is to DNF - DID NOTHING FATAL (a reminder from Dean).

    From one who just DNF'ed recently, the DNF will feed your hungry and make you want to succeed even more. It will make you aim higher and try harder. The 100 is within your sights. I'll be there for you, just like you were there for my first sub-4 marathon and my first 50!!!

    Here's RJR's blog entry:
    http://www.tobadwater.com/2010/06/my-first-50-miler/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marco, it was very cool meeting you this weekend. Again, huge thank you for driving us down there! That sucks about the stomach issues and the DNF, but as Kino said, "When your body shuts down, there's not much you can do." I like your attitude that you're bouncing right back and looking towards the 100. That will be an even better adventure, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete