Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The North Face Endurance Challenge 50

The North Face Endurance Challenge
Bear Mountain
50 miles
7,038 Elevation Gain
14,074 Elevation Change




...with twice the elevation change compared to my first 50 miler trail
run, I knew it was gonna be a long day.

4:30am ...I don't know why I'm smiling, I only had
about 3hours asleep and about to run for 12hrs
























...these 3 crazy guys and Helen (not shown) had their
relay to run in a few hours as well.





















I got to met Dean Karnazes, one of my inspirations to
do start doing Ultra Marathons. For those who don't know who he
is, check out his wiki.

He also has a great book out
"
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner"

















...Mile 10


























Mile 22 (Tallest peak)




















Note the runners in red and green (far left), I almost
lost them when stopping for this picture...









Mile 20-30... not much running


























my boy Alex running with me to the finish...



















...Powered by Dim Sum Ultra runners
(That guy in the yellow is one crazy runner too!)




















TBW... Thompson, Alex, "me", Sam, Helen




















The North Face Challenge matching Jackets...yeah!



















Finish stats;
12hrs 3min
72 place of 141 started

12hours of up hill running and this is what you get....
















...Not as bad as last years 50 miler, Im
getting stronger! (left ankle, 2days)





















Pros: Great Swag and Finishers Medal, Beautiful route,
Crazy terrain = a true Ultra marathon challenge

Cons: More choices at Aid Stations, Rugged terrain will kill non
trai runners ankles, better trail makers when trails merge with 50k and
marathon runners.

-MC

No comments:

Post a Comment